4.11.2009

Have you every said something you regreted?

If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.  James 1:26


Wow that is a powerful statement.  Well I was reading my Bible the other morning and I came across that verse and it popped out at me. Ever happen to you?  I knew it was for me in some way.  I read through the Proverbs each month and it is full of verses on the tongue.  Each time I read them I really try to heed the warnings.  I don't know about you but my tongue gets me into trouble-I'd like to say from time to time, but honestly it's usually daily.  For me it may be snapping back at Dean if he says something that I don't agree with, more often than not he's speaking truth, but it's hurtful to my pride.  Speaking harshly to my children, usually when I am being selfish with my time or impatient rather than being selfless and long suffering.  Maybe it's giving my opinion when it's not wanted or just sharing with a friend - you get the idea.  I don't even think it has to be hateful words, but simply too many words.  I am learning slowly to just be quiet, just be q-u-i-e-t.  I do not possess the power to control my tongue, James 3:7 tells me so.  So am I just doomed?  No, I know that by the power of Christ I can do ALL things, yes even tame my tongue. 

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.  Proverbs 10:19

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.  
Proverbs 16:24

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on this one, my tongue is a dangerous weapon and I should use it very wisely but I don't and I need to remember that verse in James more often. Isn't their a verse in Proverbs that says even when a fool holds his tongue he seems wise?

    ReplyDelete